Suitable for beginner to confident beginner sewers, this class teaches the basics of sewing while following a commercial pattern. Students will pick a simple garment according to their skill level and be guided by the instructor.
Previous students of this class may also take this again and work on a more a different pattern to help increase their confidence in sewing.
You must be familiar with your sewing machine
Beginner Basic class completion - recommended*denotes items are available at Central Sewing
Please note our Class Policies
- sewing machine in good working order with: instruction manual, foot control, power cord, and all presser feet
- Schmetz universal needles 80/12*
- Sharp scissors* or Rotary cutter* and mat*
- Glass head pins*, pin cushion*, tape measure*, seam gauge (metric)*, seam ripper*, Chaco Liner marking chalk*, Press cloth for garment*
Pattern, Fabric & Notions:
Select a Level 1 or Level 2 pattern according to your experience.
McCallspattern book; Learn to Sew section; Level 1 / Sew for Fun patterns –OR- Level 2 / Sew for Fun Level 2 patterns.
Closet Core Patterns: (Level 1) Cielo top/dress; Veronik robe; Fiore skirt; (Level 2) Elodie wrap dress; Pietra shorts/pants; www.closetcorepatterns.com
Check that the pattern is designed for woven fabrics (not stretch knits/jersey)
Measure your bust and hips to find your correct pattern size. Pattern size is NOT the same as your Ready-to-wear size.
Size charts are listed on the pattern envelope (McCalls) or Sizing tab (Closet Core).
Buy your pattern in the correct size range.
Woven fabrics (No knits; no stretch) such as cotton; cotton/polyester/rayon blends; polyester; chambray; rayon in a medium weight.
Fabric should drape and not be stiff.
Buy the amount of fabric for your size and pattern option as listed on the pattern envelope (McCalls) or Supplies tab (Closet Core).
Interfacing (if pattern requires)
- *Thread to match fabric
- *Sharp fabric scissors OR *Rotary cutter and *mat
- *Glass head pins;
- *Pin cushion;
- *Tape measure;
- *Seam gauge;
- *Seam ripper;
- *Chaco Liner marking chalk; OR Erasable marking pen OR hand needle & contrast thread for marking
- *Press cloth for garment
- Notions for pattern construction (ie; buttons, zipper...)