This introductory class will give you a confident start to your sewing whether you are a new beginner or returning after a long break. Get familiar operating your machine, practice different seams and learn about the best fabrics to start with. Move on to completing a few projects adding buttons, buttonholes and a zipper.
General supply list
Items marked with * are available at Central Sewing.
Please note our Class Policies
Sewing machine in good working order, including Instruction manual; Foot control; Power Cord
- All presser feet that came with your machine
- *Bobbins to fit your machine (usually a few are supplied with the machine)
- *Sewing machine needles - Universal needles 80/12 (Schmetz or Klasse brand)
- *Sharp fabric scissors
- *Paper scissors
- *Thread snips – small spring loaded scissors for trimming threads
*Recommended book for reference : Sew with Confidence by Nancy Zieman
This will be a shopping or tote bag which will use multiple stitching techniques.
0.6 meter (60 cm) of 115cm or 150 cm wide fabric*
1 spool (250 m) of poly/cotton thread such as (Gutterman or Coats) in a matching colour.
*Fabric should be a medium weight, non stretch, cotton or poly cotton woven fabric. Examples are quilting cotton, chambray (shirt weight denim) or light home decor fabrics.
- Glass head pins ( 0.5 mm thick and approx 32 mm long)
- *Pin cushion
- *Seam gauge -15cm black metal gauge with sliding coloured marker for quick, even measuring
- *Tape measure – 150 cm long marked in cms
- *Seam ripper -for unpicking stitches and cutting buttonholes (Clover is a good brand)
Useful but not essential items:
- *Point presser /turner -bamboo or plastic – for poking out corners eg: collar after turning
- *Chaco Liner or Chalkoner -chalk marker with tiny wheel for marking fabric
- OR fabric pencil / air erase pen (purple) / water erasable pen (blue)
- *Spool of contrast thread – for basting and marking notches
- *Hand sewing needle – for basting and marking with contrast thread
- *Press cloth for garment; - usually a piece of plain white cotton fabric.
- Notebook or binder
- Pen, pencil, ruler
- *6” x 18” Quilting Ruler (optional)
- *Multi compartment bag or case for storing sewing supplies and bringing to class