Welcoming the talented Mixed Media Artist, Darlene Bayley: Darlene creates art that celebrates life with paint, fabric and other mediums she incorporates into her work, which one might call "play"!
Curved piecing adds flow and dynamics to your projects! Darlene's no-ruler approach combined with a design-as-you-go attitude will open the doors for you to flex your creative muscles and play with all sorts of mediums to add dimension and texture to your one of a kind work of art. Whether you create a landscape, a flowing background for additional appliqué, or even a HUGE flower, you will love this easy approach to design.
This class takes place upstairs in classroom 4.
- Sewing machine in good working condition (you must know how to use your machine) along with a 1/4 foot and a new needle
- Cutting mat, rotary cutter (make sure blade is SHARP)
- Regular sewing supplies including seam ripper, thread snips, etc
- Neutral coloured thread for piecing
- Fabric! You need at least a .2M cut of each of your fabrics, as you are layering them up as you piece (small scraps don't work well). This can be a great stash buster. In considering the theme of "landscapes", collect colours that represent trees, bark, water, sky, etc. You can work in any colour scheme you want! Check out the samples to get some ideas. Also, if you approach this with an attitude that you want to learn the techniques and see where the design goes, there's NO right or wrong in the fabric you choose and the more fabrics the merrier. Prints work fine. To achieve depth, please choose fabrics that range from light tones to darker tones. At minimum I'd suggest 10 different fabrics to start.
- 1M tear-away stabilizer
- Pencil, eraser and ruler for design purposes
- Fabric scissors
- Add-a-Quarter Ruler
- an old credit card/business card for fabric folding
- Best press (optional)
View our Class Policies here.