Join instructor Patty for six skill-building lessons on sewing with BERNINA, as well as the many neat features and accessories you can use to take your sewing to the next level! Learn how to create a machine-made tapestry, a professional pillow, a functional garden apron, a Sandhill Sling bag, a mini-quilt with applique and decorative stitches, and a stand-up notions pouch all while practicing various useful techniques!
(Sewing Series Schedule)
Lesson 1: Machine-Made Tapestry
Lesson 2: Constructing a Professional Pillow
- Textured hand-woven tapestries are popping up in many trendy home design social media pages! Learn how to use your BERNINA and some unconventional accessories like felting and free-motion couching to create a one-of-a-kind piece of modern art for your home.
Lesson 3: Multi-Functional Garden Apron
- Stop looking for the perfect pillow and make your own! Learn how to construct a home decor pillow, add piping and insert a zipper. After making it, you can use your new sewing skills to make many more in your fave fabrics and custom sizes! In lesson 3 you'll learn how to add seasonal embroidered panels that can be changed throughout the year!
Lesson 4: Sandhill Sling Bag
- April showers bring May flowers, and summer is just around the corner! What will you use to tend the garden? Create a durable and functional garden apron featuring a front carrying pouch, carrying handles and several pockets to tote around all your gardening accessories. This project will use a variety of BERNINA non-stick presser feet to easily sew together layers of tough materials such as vinyl and heavy canvas.
Lesson 5: Mini-Quilt with Circle Applique & Decorative Stitches
- Sewing bags presents new challenges for many sewists- sewing through bulky seams, inserting zippers and working with elastic or heavier fabrics are just a few. Learn some helpful tips on these topics and create the simple, functional Sandhill Sling bag designed by Noodlehead Patterns.
Lesson 6: Stand-Up Notions Pouch
- Learn circle applique with BERNINA Circular Embroidery Attachement #83. Using satin stitches and other decorative stitches, we'll learn two ways using the attachment. First we'll make the applique, and second we'll create echo quilting. Directional couching feet and walking feet will be shown also as options to add finishing touches. You'll have a beautiful mini-quilt to adorn your sewing room!
- Its time to reinvent the pencil bag! For the sewing lesson this month we will be creating a stand-up pouch, similar in size to a pencil bag, to store all of your sewing notions. You can leave it stationary at home or zip it up to take on-the-go. This lesson will help you install zippers with ease, even on sticky materials, using BERNINA non-stick presser feet. Other included techniques will be seaming, edgestitching and piping (optional.)
This is a Zoom-based virtual class series! Internet connection as well as the Zoom program (it is a free application!) is required. Have a pen & paper ready! Closer to your class date you will receive an email invite to the Zoom session, please ensure you sign up with your email address to receive it!